Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Book Club Blog Post #4

 As I reached the end of the novel, Princess By Jean Sasson, I found myself disappointed with the anti-climactic ending, yet grateful for the well-being of Sultana. I was hoping that the story would end with her escape, although her husband seems to be fairly kind (especially in relation to the other men in the novel) I found myself wanting more for Sultana. Sultana would be able to thrive in a country like ours, where the only way to succeed as a woman is to do it with a little sass and attitude that is well excepted in our country. More so, sticking up for oneself which Sultana does throughout the book with deliberation, intent, and consideration. Without these boundaries of the Saudi Arabian men, I think Sultana would be able to grow into a well-respected woman of the United States. Behind her drive would be the encouragement and resources to do so. The country of Saudi Arabia even allows "a woman's room" or a room that keeps woman confined to a cell without windows, contact, or entertainment. This is by far one of the sickest, cruelest and disgusting habitual acts in this novel. How is that even humane? How could that ever be justified or dignified? How could a country worship a god that would allow that? The final anecdote of experience in Saudi Arabia is that of, Widad. Widad was traveling to Saudi Arabia and her daughter was kidnapped and her kidney was stolen. Saudi men in this novel have taken everything from women in this novel, rights, virtue, a voice, and now they are stealing organs? What was more memorable was what Widad said to Sultana in the haste of her story. Widad says, "While it is true that financial desperation leads foreigners to Saudi Arabia, you are still hated by all that have known you." This statement stuck out to me for its truthfulness. I have never been to Saudi Arabia and now can promise that I never will, for I have never heard such stories of degradation and malice until reading this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment